Friday, January 24, 2014

No. 373 The Amaryllis Collection No. 5





The Amaryllis Collection No. 5
Oil on Gessobord
6" x 6"

Click here to view auction.

Well, unbeknownst to me I created a Lucky Chinese New Year painting! While trying to find the name of these small white flowers I also came across this tidbit about red,
"At Chinese New Year celebrations people wear red clothes, decorate with poems on red paper, and give children "lucky money" in red envelopes. Red symbolizes fire, which according to legend can drive away bad luck." In 2014 the Chinese New Year falls on January 31st. What a great excuse to paint with more red!
The little white flowers are Chinese Sacred Lily and are a type of narcissus with an intense fragrance. I purchased the bulbs before Christmas to force in my kitchen windowsill. I'm totally sold on this whole forcing bulbs thing to help get through the gray days of January, February, March and April. :)

2 comments: