Sunday, April 27, 2014

No. 419 Mt Vernon Tulip Fields

 
Skagit Valley Tulip Fields 2014 - Plein Air
Oil on Linen Panel
5" x 7"
SOLD
 
A little over a week ago I ventured up to the tulip fields to try my hand at painting them in plein air. I've been to the fields many times but had yet to bring my paint box with me. Visiting these fields is a "wow" experience. To see such a large swath of intense color in the landscape is breath taking.
 
 

 
Tulip Field Mini
Oil on Linen Panel
3" x 5"
 
For the first hour or so I just took photos. The weather was a bit dicey. The sun came and went but no rain. The fields were quite mucky since it had been raining pretty steadily the previous two days. People were literally "tip toeing through the tulips" trying to steer clear of the mud puddles.
 
 

 
 
 
Then it was time to pull out the old paint box and go for it. I've been experimenting with painting really small. These mini paintings are fast and easy. Because of this, it's easy to experiment and take a chance since there isn't so much time and effort invested.
 
 

 
 
 
It's fun listening to the chatter of fellow visitors as they walk by. I can't tell you how many different languages I heard as I stood there painting.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The soil near where I was painting had a surprisingly spongy texture. I'm guessing it's because the soil on top was drying much quicker than that underneath. Many people commented on this as they walked by. One lady remarked to her friend, " It feels like walking on clouds!" My favorite comment was from a gentlemen who said, "It's like walking on chocolate cake!"
 
 

 
 
 
It was a banner day for me. I loved painting the fields. Many kind people stopped to chat. I even sold two of my mini paintings right off the easel. This most definitely will have to be an annual tradition!
 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment