Friday, February 21, 2014

No. 389 Composition Study


Composition Study
Oil on Linen Panel
5" x 7"

We are studying composition in Elizabeth's class from the book The Artist's Design: Probing the Hidden  Order by Marie MacDonnell Roberts. The current topic is "unity" and some of the ways you can create that in a painting. When we talk about unity we mean everything in the painting looks like it belongs there. It feels like a cohesive whole. One way to create this feeling of "wholeness" is to use similar or analogous colors. In other words, colors that are close to each other on the color wheel.  That was my goal in this very loose study.


This has been my Tuesday morning haunt for almost six years. Yes, I am one of the very fortunate people to be in Elizabeth Kincaid's weekly watercolor class. Elizabeth is, hands down, one of the best art teachers I've ever had. Her weekly class is currently full with a wait list. However, she will be teaching two workshops this summer. If you would like more info you can email her at ekincaid@cruzio.com.


I love the way one of my fellow students had her work laid out on her desk. Karen Burns is working hard. Here you can see her photo inspiration, the transfer drawing she created, a study and the final piece in progress. Pretty cool, huh?



My desk (after a little tidying up) This is a watercolor I've been working on for many moons of my youngest daughter Megan.

No comments:

Post a Comment